FELIX ORANGE RIVER FLY FISHING TRIPS
Priced from R33 725.00 p/p incl vat
Advertised Rates Applicable to : 30 Jun 2023 - 31 Dec 2023
The Drift Trip Experience will cover just over 30kms of the Orange River. Guests can expect to fish on a daily basis.
Strcuture loaded pools with big boulder gardens, ledges, tail-outs, tree lines, back eddies and gravel bars targeting the elusive and highly prized largies as well as the trophy sized smallies that readily attack the baitfish patterns thrown on 6 and 7 wight rods while anchored as well as drifting, with your guide holding your line perfect on the oars to make the necessary casts.
Skinny water fishing fished mostly by wading various waters such as, freestone, pocket water, sand bars, glides and chutes for smallies in abundance with regular opportunities for sight-fishing. Guests can also expect to catch juvenile largies which co-inhabit these waters. Other than the standard upstream nymphing methods, a very effective way of fishing these waters is by swinging baitfish patterns through the current and seams often resulting in explosive takes and long runs!
ORANGE RIVER FLY FISHING TRIPS
Day of arrival guests will meet at Felix Unite, Provenance Camp. After a quick orientation and safety briefing, guests will settle in, rig up and prep for the drift trip the next day. Those who wish to fish the home pool can do so or simply relax around the pool or bar with a cold beer before dinner.
Accommodation on arrival in en-suite air- conditioned cabanas. The next morning will see an early rise for coffee and breakfast at camp before strolling down to the rafts that are ready and waiting to head down river into the reserve and off the grid.
Each day as the light starts to turn, coffee and rusks will be awaiting you around a raging campfire. Once kitted up there is always good waters around camp for guests to fish before breakfast is ready. Thereafter anglers pair up with their respective guides and head downstream for the day fishing on a sensible beat rotation system depending on the schedule either with a packed lunch or alternatively a central meeting place for the group to get together and relax under the gazebo, eat and swim.
Afternoon sessions are spent drifting down to camp fishing till past sunset when the desert low light period really starts to show her true colours! Once at camp you can expect a raging campfire and dinner under the stars!
On the final fishing day of the drift trip guests will have a short morning fishing session before extraction. An easy 40-minute drive back to Provenance camp for lunch and dinner.
The final day will see an early breakfast before departure back to reality.
Includes : 5 days guided fishing, 6 nights , shared lodging, all meals, drinks (except while at base camp at the bar), support crew, flyfishing guides, drift trip equipment.
Excludes : Travel to venue, gear and fly packs, drinks while at base camp, gratuities and any items of a personal nature.
Gear : 5# – 7# rods
VALID PASSPORT REQUIRED WITH MIN 6 MONTHS VALIDITY
To be visibly placed on the inside of your vehicle’s windscreen or on the rear of your vehicle. Take all vehicle registration documents with you, if travelling in own transport – (This is the doc you receive from the traffic department)
ORANGE RIVER FLY FISHING ~ KITLIST
Costume, shorts, hat or cap, track shoes /strops , thus something that will stay on your feet
long sleeved shirt, T-shirts, waterproof windbreaker – Less Is More!!
Track shoes, underwear, towel, kikoi / sarong
In the winter months a track-suit, woolly hat [beanie] and gloves are advisable for the evening but the days are wonderful and warm!!
Please remember to bring a valid passport. Minimum 6 Months Validity.
To be visibly placed on the inside of your vehicle’s windscreen or on the rear of your vehicle.Please will you take all vehicle registration documents with you, if travelling in own transport – (This is the doc you receive from the traffic department)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The trip starts and finishes at Provenance Base Camp in Noordoewer, Namibia. Guests can either fly into Upington and ground transfer as a group from there. Alternatively driving whereby once confirmed we will arrange for guests to pair up for the drive. Please contact us for further logistic enquiries.
– Johannesburg to Noordoewer: 1200 kms
– Cape Town to Noordoewer: 680 kms
– Durban to Noordoewer: 1600 kms
THE GUIDED EXPERIENCE
The Drift Trip Experience will cover just over 30 kms of the Orange River. Guests can expect to fish on a daily basis:
– Structure loaded pools with big boulder gardens; ledges; tail-outs, tree lines; back eddies and gravel bars targeting the elusive and highly prized largies as well as trophy sized smallies that readily attack the baitfish patterns thrown on 6 and 7 weight rods while anchored as well as drifting, with your guide holding your line perfect on the oars to make the necessary casts.
– Skinny water fishing fished mostly by wading various waters such as: freestone, pocket water, sand bars, glides and chutes for smallies in abundance with regular opportunities for sight-fishing. Guests can also expect to catch juvenile largies which co-inhabit these waters. Other than the standard upstream nymphing methods, a very effective way of fishing these waters is by swinging baitfish patterns through the current and seams often resulting in explosive takes and long runs!
THE OUTDOOR EXPERIENCE
As well as this being a flyfishing trip, it is equally an outdoor experience and so comfortability and refinement are two very key ingredients. The River Drift Camps will be set up each day by support crew at a predetermined site on the river’s edge. Dinner and drinks will be spent around a raging campfire under the stars with all the bells and whistles one can expect to make the outdoors a comfortable and enjoyable experience.
The inflatable Drift Boats have been designed with this specific fishery in mind. Carefully constructed with a Centre Oar Rig configuration, your guide is positioned midship affording each angler plenty room both at the bow as well as the stern to fish 180 degrees on a very stable craft.
Each raft is customized with the following features:
– Safe and secure rod holder system to accommodate 8x 9ft fly rods fully rigged.
– 70lb thrust Trolling motor.
– Cleated and seamless anchor system.
– Stripping Baskets for each angler.
– Wild Cooler to ensure your drinks are cold and boat snacks fresh.
– 2 way radios for communication between rafts at all times.
– Specialized Flyfishing Guide to get you into the fish and safely navigate
Camp facilities will include:
– Canvas tents, stretchers, sleeping bags and LED interior light.
– Roll top dry bags for personal clothing and toiletries.
– Wash station with shower and toilet facilities.
– Gear area with rod holder and wading boot dry rack.
– Battery and camera charging facility.
– Camp chairs, thermos cups and flasks
It’s a semi-arid dessert so you can expect it to get hot during the day and moderate at night however with seasonal weather patterns shifting and the remote chance of a frontal system coming through on the shoulder months we always recommend quality breathable SPF rated long sleeve clothing for the days and sensible thermal layering system for nights around the camp.
TRAVEL DOCUMENTS FOR CHILDREN U18
Note that as of the 1 June 2015, the Department of Home Affairs have implemented new regulations that all children under the age of 18 years old need to travel with the additional Travel Documentation. Link for all these details CLICK HERE